Acupuncture in San Antonio
Many of my fertility acupuncture patients come in asking, “so what does this do to help my fertility?” Let me answer some frequently asked questions. Acupuncture is the insertion of very fine needles, on the body’s surface, in order to influence physiological functioning of the body. As the basis of Acupuncture, the ancient Chinese theorized that the body had an energy force running throughout it known as Qi (pronounced ‘chee’). A person’s health is influenced by the flow of Qi in the body. If the flow of Qi is insufficient, unbalanced or interrupted, the body becomes unbalanced, and pain or illness may occur. Qi travels throughout the body along meridians that run up and down the body. Acupuncturists use specific acupuncture points along these pathways to remove blockages within these meridians.
The exact mechanism of acupuncture is still relatively unknown, but with modern technology we know that:
- Acupuncture increases circulation of the body’s fluids which brings more oxygen to tissues
- Acupuncture stimulates the release of oxytocin, the feel good hormone
- Acupuncture reduces inflammation
- Acupuncture reduces cortisol, the stress hormone
- Acupuncture stimulates the body’s own healing mechanisms so the problem is fixed internally